2011-01-02

Physics and Life

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, Teach a man how to make fire and he will be warm the rest of his life" -- someone

Education phails - Why do I need to know physics?
I have been looking in to higher education and find it has relay high requirements for prior education: I need no have done the A and B* coarse in Physics to be able to attend the courses I have been looking at (Programming and Computer Science -shy). Here is the problem: I do not have Physics B .... I have to go and "read up" those courses, But I do not want to do it over the intrawebs (done that, I phaild miserably) , or with a bunch of High School Students who are running around...

Why do I even need to know Physics to write code and thesis? It does not make any sense. I think that I would fit in to the "IT"-crowd at UNI quite well and be a "good" student. I already know some basic Python, C, PHP, (Java) and such. I see no reason why I need to know Physics when I am working on a computer science thesis or collaborating with my mates on a project.

Time to restructure the system!
I am a advocate of the "system of basic knowledge before entering a program"-procedure, but sometimes that hurts the system.
As an institution, the unis have to keep up a standard, but that standard is set by the students previous education, not the students real Knowledge. I can get "competence" in a subject by doing courses and doing good in class and on the tests, but that is not a test of real knowledge only temporary or surface learning, not real learning. An admission test would be a better test, a test that you had a week to do a test that consists of a number of points like: write a program to do X, what were your sources for this? Do a collaborative project with a/two test mate(s), How did you collaborate? what were the problems you encounter? write an essay on any subject you like. etcetera etcetera.

Or have a system where you can submit a personal paper, some code you have been working on, some of your prior essays and a letter of approval from some one. and that would weigh as much as any degree or mark. (provided you have a basic minimum degree).

What are your thoughts on this?

* http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsv.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFysik_B

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar